Home :: Nose Bleeds
Nose bleeds(Epistaxis) :- Causes, Types and Home Remedies of Nose Bleeds ( Epistaxis )
The nose is a part of the body that is very rich in blood vessels. These vessels lie close to the surface, making them easy to injure. A nosebleed can be scary to get -or see- but try to stay calm.
Bleeding from nose may be arterial or venous in origin and may vary from an annoying and disturbing symptom to one that is life threatening. Epistaxis is a very common symptom in children when the bleeding usually arises anteriorly
Causes of Nose Bleeds ( Epistaxis )
The nose contains many tiny blood vessels that bleed easily. Nose bleeds commonly occur when blood vessels inside the nostrils are ruptured, either by a blow to the nose, or as a result of sneezing, picking or blowing the nose.
Some of the main causes of nose bleed are:-
- Infection such as a cold or flu makes the blood vessels in the nose more fragile, causing the nose bleeds.
- Nosebleeds can occur spontaneously when the nasal membranes dry out, crust, and crack. This is common in dry climates, or during the winter months when the air is dry and warm from household heaters
- Nose bleeds may also occur as a result of high blood pressure, high altitudes
- Tumors of the nasal cavity and tumors of the sinuses can also cause nose bleeds
- If you have a deviated septum, you may be prone to frequent nose bleeds.
- Inflammation of the nose or sinuses may cause a nose bleed.
- Drugs- like excessive use of analgesics for pain
- Nose bleeds are usually merely be dangerous, since the causality can lose a great deal of blood. Where a nose bleed follows a head injury, the blood may appear thin and watery. This is very serious.
There are two classifications of nosebleeds, depending on where in the nose the blood is coming from
- Anterior (Front) Nosebleed: The nosebleed that comes from the front part of the nose and begins with a flow of blood out one or the other nostril if the patient is sitting up or standing .
- Posterior (Back) Nosebleed: The nosebleed that comes from deep in the nose and flows down the back of the mouth and throat even if the patient is sitting up or standing.
General home care:-
- Be calm and do not panic.
- Patient should lay down leaning forward over a large bowl or basin, and should not sniff or swallow the blood.
- A towel may be used as a bib to cover the chest and drape it over the knees.
- Patient should pinch the soft part of the nose between the thumb and forefinger for not less than five minutes by the clock, and to breathe through the mouth throughout.
- Patient should not blow the nose for twelve hours at least.
When to call a doctor?
- If the nose bleed follows a head injury.
- If the nose bleed persists beyond 30 minutes.
- The severity of the bleeding will dictate the degree of urgency and need for medical help .
Home Remedies in Nose Bleeding:-
- Most nosebleeds can be controlled with simple treatment. Sit up with your head bent forward. Using your thumb and index finger, pinch the nostril for at least 5 minutes. If bleeding continues, keep pinching the nostril for another 10 minutes.
- Adursi Leaves :- By putting 3-4 drops of Ardusi leaves juice in to the nose stops the blood coming out from the nostril and by drinking Ardusi leaves juice stops the blood coming out from the nose and mouth.
- Goldenseal :- Another herbal remedy is to make a tea from goldenseal using one teaspoon to a pint of boiling water. Steep a few minutes, let settle, and, when cold, snuff some into your nostrils. Do this several times during the day to prevent recurrence.
- Ice:- Put some ice in your mouth and try and hold it to the roof of your mouth with your tounge and try to keep it there as long as u can bear the coldness it will stopp the bleeding in seconds works everytime.
- Mango Seeds :- By smelling mango seeds juice stops blood coming out from the nose or neck.
- Lemon water :- Mix the juice of three lemons into two cups of cold water and sponge on the sunburn. The lemon will cool the burn, act as a disinfectant, and will promote healing of the skin.
- Oil with Pepper :- Heat oil with pepper or bishop weed seed and when it cools down put few drops of this oil in the nose or inhale it or rub with it to open blocked nose.
- Basil :- Keep some basil blossoms with you and smell them every now and again. In chronic cases, a drop of the essence of basil blossom put in the handkerchief and smelt at intervals cures the problem almost totally. Drinking basil juice with honey is also recommended.
- When the nostril bleeds at that time put few drops of any of the following mentioned things in the nose viz. sugarcane juice, onion juice, cow's ghee, milk, sugar water, raisins water, and cold water.